Monday, August 11, 2008

Edwards, Still Denying Paternity, Provides New Details of Liaison

“I know she was a videographer,” a chastened former Sen. Jonathan Edwards told a hastily assembled Durham, North Carolina news conference, “but she was more like a beauty queen from a movie scene. I said don’t mind, but what do you mean I am the one?”

Edwards continued to deny paternity of a child born to Rielle Hunter, a videographer with whom the Senator, who ran for President on a strongly pro-family message, had an affair in 2006.

“She’s just a girl who claims I am the one,” Edwards told reporters, “but the kid is not my daughter.”

When asked how the two first met, Edwards explained that she had been shooting a campaign video and that she had directed him to “dance on the floor in the round,” the former Senator said. “I didn’t understand what that meant, so I invited her back to my hotel room so she could explain it to me.”

When asked whether he had any advice for other pro-family politicians, a visibly upset Edwards replied, “People always told me be careful of what you do and don’t go around breaking young girls’ hearts.”

Reporters pointed out that Hunter was 44, which is not precisely “young,” Edwards noted that “She came and stood right by me” and that he was affected by “the smell of sweet perfume.”

Reporters also pressed Edwards for information about the length of the relationship and why it ended.

“For forty days and forty nights,” Edwards, shamefaced, told the news conference. “And it ended because of her schemes and plans. She had a very full schedule, and who can stand when she’s in demand?”

He then repeated, over and over until his voice faded to a mere whisper, “But the kid is not my daughter.”

No comments: