Sunday, October 19, 2008

Bush Decries War, Greed; Seeks $10 Million For Memoir

A remorseful President George W. Bush told a hastily assembled White House news conference that he was wrong about the Iraq War and that greed led to the collapse of the stock market, and that for $10 million "from the right publisher" and $250,000 from the right group that wanted to hire him to give a speech, he would explain why war and greed were bad.

"I have learned the error of my ways," the President told reporters. "I presided over an unwinnable war and the unconscionable deregulation of the banking industry. War and greed have all but destroyed our nation. If the right publisher steps up with a $10 million advance, I will explain in detail my new crusade against war and greed."

When asked by reporters what publisher would be the right publisher, the President replied, "Any publisher offering $10 million would be the right publisher."

President Bush pointed to a long list of notable Americans who "like me, all but destroyed the country" including Johnson-era Secretary of Defense Robert McNamara and former President Bill Clinton who got the country mired in Vietnam in one case and sold the country out to the Chinese in the other "and got big advances for their memoirs so they could explain how remorseful they had become since leaving office.

"Well, I feel remorseful to the tune of $10 million for the book and $250K per speech," the President concluded. "So if anyone wants to know why greed and war are wrong, I'll be happy to explain, as long as the money's right."

No comments: