Sunday, November 2, 2008

Hillary Clinton, Campaigning In Florida, Receives Only Blank Stares

In a surprising demonstration of how quickly the American public forgets people who were famous only a few months earlier, Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton campaigned throughout Florida on behalf of her former rival, Democratic Presidential candidate Barack Obama, and received only puzzled looks, blank stares, and a lot of people just scratching their heads.

"She has a very familiar face," an Ocala, Florida voter told the Dissociated Press. "But I'm not sure I remember exactly who she is."

Clinton told reporters at a hastily assembled West Palm Beach, Florida news conference that she was "disappointed, but not surprised, at the lack of recognition I received in her campaign appearances this weekend. People move on with their lives. I can't say it doesn't hurt, though."

Clinton said that despite the fact that few in Florida seemed to remember who exactly she was, she would continue to stump on Obama's behalf until Tuesday's election.

"You have to not take things like that personally," she told reporters. "I told them that I was Bill Clinton's wife, and they seemed to remember who he was, so that's a positive, I guess."

Clinton said that the most surprising experience of the weekend campaigning was the fact that so many Florida voters "seemed to think I was either Phyliss Schlafly, Barbara Walters, or Anita Bryant. I wasn't sure whether to take that as a compliment or not.

"How quickly they forget."

No comments: