Thursday, August 20, 2009

Plaxico Seeks Lighter Sentence On Grounds He Wounded, Not Killed, Himself

“If I had killed myself,” former New York Giant Plaxico Burriss told a hastily assembled Manhattan news conference, “I believe I would be entitled to the two-year sentence I got. But since I didn’t, I shouldn’t be in prison so long.”

Burriss shot himself in the leg while visiting a Manhattan nightclub. Since his handgun was unregistered, he was in violation of New York State’s firearms laws. A judge today sentenced him to two years in prison.

“It wasn’t that big a deal,” Burriss told reporters. “People get shot in clubs every day of the week. If somebody gets killed, give them a long time in prison. If I had killed myself, put my a-- away for a long stretch. I get that. But I just wounded myself. I think I should just get probation.”

Burriss said that if he were given probation and shot and killed himself, he would “willingly turn myself in. It would be the least I could do, because if I kill myself, there’s no telling who I would kill next.”

No comments: