Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Caroline Kennedy Named Senator Of Both New York and Illinois

The Governors of New York and Illinois, acting separately, today appointed Caroline Kennedy to open U.S. Senate seats in both states, both of which appointments she accepted.

If Ms. Kennedy’s appointments are approved by the U.S. Senate, she will be the first Senator in history to represent two states at the same time.

“I don’t see a problem or a conflict,” Ms. Kennedy said. “Both states have big cities and small towns, so they pretty much have the same sets of problems. I don’t see myself having to vote against the interests of one state to protect the other.”

Ms. Kennedy said that having two states to represent was “perfect. This way, I get to have one vote for my conscience and the other for the sense of political expediency that has driven my entire political career, which so far is about two weeks old.”

According to her account of events leading to her nomination, Ms. Kennedy prevailed upon New York Governor David Paterson by reminding that “she was a Kennedy and he damned well better appoint her, or she’ll do Kennedy stuff to him.”

In Illinois, Ms. Kennedy made a seven-figure donation to the legal defense fund of struggling Gov. Rod Blagojevich.

“The donation and my appointment are two entirely different and unconnected matters,” Ms. Kennedy insisted. “He is being railroaded for a crime that my family has been committing for generations with impunity, and I thought that wasn’t fair.”

Ms. Kennedy, who at her request will be referred to as “Senator Senator Kennedy,” or “Double Senator Kennedy,” or “Senator Squared,” will take office “as soon as a set of offices in the Hart Office Building large enough both for my two staffs and my overarching sense of entitlement becomes available.”

No comments: