Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Burris Resigns From Senate; Appoints Blagojovech To Fill His Seat

Illinois Senator Roland Burris resigned today, appointing former Illinois Governor Rod Blagojevich to fill his seat.

“Governor Blagojevich is the best man for the job,” former Senator Burris told a hastily assembled Washington, D.C. news conference. “He is experienced and is available immediately for the job. In fact, I swore him in to my former seat at six this morning.”

Former Senator Burris has acknowledged conversations about raising funds for then-Governor Blagojevich as a quid pro quo for appointment to the Senate, although he says he ultimately turned down the request to raise money.

“No cash has been exchanged in this transaction,” former Senator Burris told reporters. “I have to go now. There’s my new Lexus with a widescreen TV in the back seat and some gold bars and season tickets to the Cubs in the trunk. There’s nothing like public service to make a man feel good about himself. I might just run for governor myself some day, if the price is right.”

No comments: