Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Dan Quayle: “Thank God For Sarah Palin”

“I’m sick and tired of being shorthand for incompetent and in over my head,” former Indiana Senator Dan Quayle told a hastily assembled St. Paul, Minnesota news conference. “All I can say is, thank God and John McCain for Sarah Palin.”

Quayle was attending the Republican National Convention because “There’s only so much golf you can play. I wanted to see Sarah Palin in the flesh, because finally there’s a Vice Presidential candidate who makes me look like Franklin Delano Roosevelt.”

For 20 years, Quayle told reporters, his Vice Presidential nomination symbolized “the guy who bumbled his way to the top without deserving it. I guess today we live in an era when being unqualified isn’t an obstacle to success. Maybe now they’ll forget about me.”

Quayle said that he was “not gratified by the criticism Governor Palin has received, because I went through the same painful process. All the jokes about me not going to Latin America because I didn’t speak Latin. People think that just because you’re a public figure, you don’t have feelings. Well, that stuff hurt. At least they didn't have the Internet then. They could have filled up YouTube just with stupid stuff from my campaign."

When reporters asked Quayle whether he had any advice for Governor Palin, he replied, “Stay away from spelling bees, reporters, debates, speeches, TV cameras, the public, Democratics and anyone holding a microphone. Do that and you’ll probably come out okay.”

No comments: