Tuesday, August 12, 2008

I’m Too Computer Illiterate To Plagiarize, McCain Insists

“I’m way too old, computer illiterate, and nearsighted to go on the Internet,” Republican Presidential candidate John McCain told a hastily assembled Kissimmee, Florida news conference. “I did not plagiarize Wackypedia or whatever it’s called. Really.”

Senator McCain’s recent speech on the Georgia-Russia war met with skepticism in a Congressional Quarterly blog, which indicated that McCain may have lifted facts and large parts of sentences from Wikipedia.com, the online encyclopedia.

“I resent the accusations that I don’t do my own homework,” McCain told reporters. “But look at the facts. I wouldn’t know how to find Winkle-pedia on the Internet if it bit me on my $500 designer loafers.”

McCain’s aides hotly denied that the Senator had lifted the speech from Wikipedia, but a side-by-side comparison of his words and the entry describing the former Soviet nation now locked in combat with Russia suggested otherwise.

Reporters began to compare other McCain speeches with other entries on other websites and asked McCain questions about those sites.

“I did not plagiarize my recent economic address on ethanol from Motley Fuels,” Senator McCain insisted. “And I did not steal language from my recent speech on Mexican immigration from ESPN.com or any other Spanish-related website. And I resent the implication that I lifted language about the Palestinians from Al Jarreau.com, although he is a very fine singer.”

When asked whether Americans were ready to elect a President whose aides cribbed basic information from websites, and a President who was so out of touch with modern technology that he couldn’t even download baseball scores, Sen. McCain offered a terse “no comment.”

No comments: