Friday, June 13, 2008

Obama Supporter Believes Obama Emails Are Actually From Obama

A Fargo, North Dakota homemaker and mother of two who contributed $50 to Senator Barack Obama's campaign, via his website, told a hastily arranged Fargo, North Dakota press conference that she believes that the presumptive Democratic candidate is sending her personal emails on a regular basis and that the emails have nothing to do with his campaign.

"At first, I appreciated the attention," Lynn Toth told the press, with her husband, Dan, her nine-year-old daughter Kelly, and her four-year-old son Dan, Jr. by her side. "But after a while, it got a little embarrassing. I did meet Senator Obama at a speech he gave at the Fair Grounds in March. But I'm a married woman, and he's a married man. Senator Obama, these personal emails must stop."

Senator Obama's campaign drew high praise from political analysts for its extensive and personalized use of the Internet and email to remain in contact with donors and supporters. But Ms. Toth told reporters that she felt "icky" because he continued to write to her, long after the North Dakota primary had come and gone.

"I appreciate him sending me notes to keep me up on what's happening, like Hillary dropping out," Ms. Toth said. "But doesn't he realize I read the newspapers? I know what's going on. I just have this feeling that he's using the fact that he's running for President as an excuse for sending me all these notes."

When reporters pointed out that the purpose of the repeated emails was to raise funds, and that the "personalized" greetings were actually computer-generated, Ms. Toth angrily denied both points.

"Barack Obama is not after my money," Ms. Toth said heatedly. "He's trying to come between me and my husband. The Senator is a handsome and powerful man. But it's not right for him to be using that authority and position as an excuse to send emails to a married woman. Doesn't his wife monitor his use of the computer? She should. I do that with my husband. Otherwise I don't know where in cyberspace he would go. We're a farm family, and we have limits."

A spokesman for the Obama campaign later admitted that Ms. Toth indeed had "caught the fancy" of the Democratic candidate, that his repeated emails to her had nothing to do with money and had everything to do with "[his] feelings for Lynn" and that he felt enormous sorrow that despite all of his attempts to contact her, she had yet to respond. Senator Obama himself later added, "She never calls...she never writes...I may be running for President, but I have feelings, too, and they ought to somehow get beyond a spam filter. Is that too much to ask?"

No comments: